Monday, January 30, 2006

Grandparents

Grandparents! Mine were so special and I loved them dearly. They looked after me and my siblings along with their own teenagers at a time when we really needed them. Today, just like in all other days, I glanced at their photo which sits right next to the computer here. For strength, yes. For endurance, that's true. For comfort, that is for sure.

My grandfather was a Baptist minister. He raised all of his children to be God-fearing. Serving God kept all of us strong in the days of the 60's and early 70's. He had a church built from the ground which was in the backyard from the house. We felt special, we felt protected. Nothing would happen to us, why should it? We learned about getting on our knees to pray whenever something came up. Do you remember the days of Lifebouy soap? We sho nuff had some Lifebouy soap making the bathroom smelling good when we came out. Also, when it was thunder and lightening, where do you think we were? On our knees. On Sunday morning before church services started, on our knees. However, as in some families the young folx don't always stick to Bible teachings as was such the case with some of my aunts and uncles.

Let me tell you about my grandma that I did not know. She married my grandpa in 1917 in Whiteville, NC. As a child, she attended a AME Zion Church in Whiteville. Later, she was educated at the Bouge Colored School in Hailsboro, NC and continued her education in Whiteville. (Another Rosa Parks, y'all)

They married in 1934, Catherine and Wilmer Wright. For more than fifty-six years, this union remained. You ready for the amount of chillen? No, not 10, no , not 13, but a whooping 17! Yeah, I say the same thing, you say, wow... Yet, she never complained. She was diligent at home and in the church.

They left behind fifty-two grandchildren, fifty-three great grandchildren and one great-great grand-child. No, of course there are more grandchildren and great grandchildren today in the nest. But they would have been able to handle us all.

On Christmas Day they made sure all of us got gifts. Yes, all of us. From the oldest child to the youngest grandchild. We would just marvel at our scarf or small bottle of perfume. It was the thought that counted. Thanks, Grandma.

Grandmother always waited hand and foot on the Reverend. When he wanted biscuits he got em. When he wanted coffee in a cup with a saucer, he got it. When he wanted EVERYTHING, HE GOT EVERYTHING,OKAY, that was my grandfather. But you know what? They don't make em like that today. Today's grandparents are a lot younger and they are raising their grandkids as friends, no discipine.


Case in point: I know a young teen whose grandmother raised him with resentment and he knows it. She could care less what he does in the streets cause he is like a friend to her. Where is the discipline? It is not there. I provided the discipline in the one year that I got to know him.

Grandparents are special. If you have living grandparents, always appreciate their wisdom. If not cherish the good memories. I will continue to look at my grandparents, their smiling, beaming faces here in front of me as I express my words of appreciation to them. I look to their faces also to keep me out of trouble, not to act rashly, but to always appreciate their divine patience in all that I do.



9 comments:

Shai said...

Sharon, I can relate to being raised by grandparents. My mother as a grandparent is worlds away from my grandma.

I do miss some of the old school stuff but not all. I have mixed feelings about how women and blacks were treated in the old days.

My grandma is my girl. Sadly, I love her more than my mother. My mother is my mother. I am who I am. I cannot change her. My grandma and grandfather filled in the gaps. Sometimes I questioned why my grandparents were how they were. Some things to this day I find odd. But they did take care of us.

I doubt I will be a grandparent like my grandma. I will probably be a "fly" granny who is stern but understands how hard it is to be a kid.

Diamond said...

Tim and Shai,

I enjoyed your responses. Tim...(crack-generation grannies) oh my goodness, you are right..they fear those kids and I am gladd that you don't have that problem.

Grandparents in the fifties and above stand an excellent chance..Grandparents, the older they are the wiser. Ramble on in the blog, Tim.

Shai, I enjoyed your posts..you are so close to your grandmother like I was. My mom and I don't cut it and she knows why. Not my fault. Let her come to grips with it. Grandma's your girl, that's good Shai.

Shai said...

17 kids? Waiting on a man hand and foot? No offense but I cannot see doin any of that.

Shai said...

Hey Tim

Alot of what you mentioned going on today happened back in the day, especially the molesting stuff. Except it was hidden.

I am starting to meet more people who have been molested or had relatives that were molested.

I also know grandparents who are 70+ years old who smoke weed, hell they been doing it most of their lives.

Yes, there were some good old days but don't put it on a pedestal so high you forget there were bad times.

MsJayy said...

Ahhh! Grandparents. "Good ol' days" grandparents. My grandparents actually had a tradition of raising one baby girl & I was fortunate enough to be the last one to live with them before my grandpa died. I think there are still old-fashioned grandparents around though they seem to be outnumbered by the "new-age" grandparents. That's another reason why I think the concept of a village is so important. Keep remembering the good times Sharon!

mochasistah said...

Thanks for the post my friend. I guess I can agree with both Shai and Tim. Some of my experiences (best) were with my mom's mother (Grandma Davis) who was the best ever to talk with, old school advice the best and in fact,before she passed we talked about things that I wanted to do that I'm now realizing in my life as an artist. The grandparents of today are sooo hip, the kids are their friends, and it's an off balance type of relationship. Shoot, I respected by Grandma, and in fact was scurrred of both of them. The kids I teach/tutor don't have that level of respect and some of them don't even appreciate the little things they can do. On the other hands, the new school grandmas ar messed up (some of them) and they can't lead the generation, because some are too tired, too lazy, they been raising their families children for generations. It's a mixed up situation. But workable.

Shai said...

To Mocha, my grandma's last name is Davis. LOL.

Diamond said...

Shai,

When I saw that name Davis, under Mocha's comment, I immediaely thoiught about you.

Sharon

Diamond said...

Jackie my dear,

Thanks and I have to remember the good times in order to keep pace with what's happening today. Also, can you explain to me about the concept of a cillage and how important it is? Does it mean a close-nit fmily?