Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Moments by SARK

Do you ever run into those bright colorful books in the self-help/inspirational section of your favorite book store? Those books written by SARK, a very inspiring person. She has gone through a lot in her life and yet she has written all of her books in color. I will be taking a few of her books today and sharing some of her comments in them.

1. The books I write about have colorful, happy covers which can cause people to think: it must be easy for her. It isn't easy for any of us to transcend the past, or pain we might have suffered. Yet, there are gifts in those pains, and we can choose to let light into the dark places. We are not alone! a quote by William Stfford is " I have woven a parachute out of everything broken."

2. Women are receptive to therapy, I think because of their attention to the emotional aspects and need to be heard. I'm always amazed when women don't try, or haven't tried therapy. Who else will listen so raptly to you? There is still a stigma about "going to therapy," as though there is something wrong with you, or it is self-indulgent to pay someone to help you within psychological work. Yet we pay our car mechanics, our gynecologists, or gardeners. This is curious. What is more important than our psychological health? Friends can also provide some of these things, but it's not their profession. A dedicated therapist's only professional purpose is your psychological health.

Sark mentions that healing is an inside job. Although she has been in therapy for eight years, both individual and groups, she continues to go because it enriches her. She is also fascinated by PSYCHOLOGICAL PROCESS WORK. We contain so much as women. We are so complex, stuffed full of feelings, memories, half-truths, denials, hopes and yearnings.

We deserve to be fully alive psychologically! Celebrate your own psychology! Read words from your soul, Explore your own interior. You are valuable just as you are.

Healing Places

OCEAN-waves remind us that there are reliable patterns like our breath. Also, the negative ions in the air actually change brain waves.

WOODS-We are surrounded by tree families and sheltered by their canopies. Keep hugging trees.

ROCKS-We are reminded that growth and change can be microscopic and result in something solid.

WATERFALLS-Falling water speaks of constancy and power.

GARDENS-In the gardens, our hands touch the growing things and our hearts fill.

TOPS OF HILLS- Overlooking the world, we see tiny cars ot towns and gain perspective.

Some of Sark's inside locations of healing.....

BATHTUB- Floating in warm water, surrounded on all sides, tears can flow out of us and join the water everywhere.

BEDS- Soft and thick, safe places to hibernate and dream.

FORTS- Tiny mocks of privacy and escape. Remember the safety of a good fort?

PHONES- Psychic sound chmbers, one on one, intimate conversations can take place without distraction.

GROUPS- In certain kinds of groups, there can be profound safety and exploration in the company of others.

PLANES- Speeding through the sky in a metal capsule emphasizes the importance of trust and release of control.

In our hearts is where the healing occurs-We can take what we experience in the outside, and bring it in for healing. Women's hearts are rare, deep and wide. We do contain multitudes!


Succulent Wild Women

They are all around you. Look for the bright eyes, ready smile, and unusual clothes. Or perhaps it's a more shy succulent wild woman who dresses and appears more quiet, and then you get close enough to bask in her succulent glow.

Sark goes on to list her favorites. These are the famous and more obscure. She invites you to add your favorites to the list.

Isadora Duncan. Sara Bernhardt. Ruth Gordon. Gertrude Stein. Anais Nin. Anne Morrow Zindbergh. Emily Dickinson. Colette. Maya Angelou. Jessica Tandy.Imogene Cunningham.

YOUR BODACIOUS SUCCULENT LIFE

You are succulent even if you don't know it yet. Succulence is a process of aliveness and discovery, and it means living your life in full color, out to the edges, and in celebration of your radiant, eccentric self. BODACIOUS means: SPLENDID, BOLD AND REMARKABLE. That's you! Succulence includes all of you: parts that may feel lost, trapped, in hiding or broken, as well as your most flamboyant, extravagant, incandescent parts. Everything in the middle is succulent too. Our ordinary, tender, jealous, procrastinating, perfectionistic selves. Sometimes we fall asleep, get lost or gorget that we are such splendid, forgivable, adorable souls. We step into lives that aren't ours, make choices that aren't nourishing, or dance stiffly for years with the wrong partner, or parts of ourselves. Some say life is short. I say, life is TALL- grab a straw!

A few questions(soul-searching)

1. What is the most alive choice you recently made?
2. In what way(s) are you succulent?
3. Who do you admire and why?



All of the above are statements from Sark's book, Succulent Wild Women.



6 comments:

mochasistah said...

Very well written blog, so I"m the first to comment! I'll start with the questions you asked in the blog.
What is the most alive choice you recently made? To move on from a not so good situation and re-processing my mind, body and spirit. Allowing God to drive me on to what he wants me to do, not what I WANT to do. Seperating my wants from my needs. Not worrying about stuff and letting go, truly letting go. I feel much lighter, better, and more centered.

2. In what way(s) are you succulent? Umm, that's a hard one. I guess I try to be me, and enjoy my essence. Truly embrace the specialness and unique nature of what God has given to me and make sure to value my own worth. Shake my toes in the water, pray when I need to, burn some incense and meditate on the positivity in my life. It's all me. From my nappy curls to my toes, I embrace me. And I'm ok. Even in my not-so-great days, I"m still a Queen in Training.

3. Who do you admire and why? I admire my mom, grandmother, my aunt Laura, the kids I work with, those who suffer and don't have much, but every day get up and try to deal with reality and do what they gotta do. Women like Coretta Scott King, Oprah, Nikki Giovanni, Sonya Sanchez, Ruby Bridges, and more.

MsJayy said...

Great post Diamond. The most alive choice I've made recently is to simply be who I was called to be whether that jived with what other people thought or wanted because it's not about them. Heck, it ain't even about ME! In what ways am I succulent? IN EVERY WAY! Life is so good right now, it's leaking fresh juices. I'm in a period of tremendous spiritual & personal growth & as it fills my life, my friends/family benefit from the overflow. I'm learning to simply BE and that is a beautiful thang. Who do I most admire? My grandparents; my mom; my sisters; my girlfriends; Maya Angelou; Oprah; a young athlete I read about who won medals swimming & he has no legs; Coretta Scott King; Barak Obama; the men I've met in my life who've shown me that good men truly do exist AND we (BLACK women) are their choice; my 19yr old cousin who is so beautiful in body & spirit & she is growing into such a Queen. I admire anyone who is striving to be their best, to give something positive to those around them, to live fully & freely.

Diamond said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diamond said...

Mocha and Jackie,

i really enjoyed both of your comments very much.

mocha-queen in training. that's one that i can steal. a nice one. it shows that despite the going ons around us, we can make it.

jackie-i can see your creative juices and all flowing around you in every which and every way. you are special and unique in every direction.

appreciated the answers, queens.

Shai said...

Hey Diamond, LOL.

I enjoyed how you got creative with you post in different colors.

I went to Amazon.com to view Sark's books. They look cute but a lil hard for me to read. LOL.

OK let answer the questions.

A few questions(soul-searching)

1. What is the most alive choice you recently made?

The most alive choice I recently made was to stop letting fear over take me. I was scared to drive but then I got my license. I was scared I would never find someone who loved me and I loved him. So I let go of any hopes for a relationship with my current love.


2. In what way(s) are you succulent?

I belive I am succulent by taking time to really look at myself and enjoy the process of unleashing my soul from the chains of misery I have had for years.

I write more and embrace learning about the process of writing and publishing.

I am silly and embrace the lil girl in me to a point I laugh til I almost cry and enjoy all of it.

3. Who do you admire and why?

I admire Oprah Winfrey. I may not agree with everything she says but I can admire her outstanding achievements while in the midst of her own healing.

I first admire my grandma who has helped care for 5 generations of our family and just keeps going. How she keeps up with everyone's birthdays and takes time to check on her people at the age of 82

Diamond said...

Hello there Shai,

Thanks for stopping by. I truly enjoyed your visit. I also enjoyed your heartfet comments. You have really made progress in so many ways and I admire you for that. Your grandmother is special, very special and I know what you mean when you say that. Unleash that soul,Shai.