Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Spanish Smile

Good day to all, today I have something I would like to share about Spanish persons, it's all good. I don't know how your experience has been with persons of that background, but all of my experiences have been positive. Let me just share a few with you.

1. I do notice that Spanish persons look out for one another as families. They don't let one another go homeless. They will all gather together in one room if need may be. They know how to show that family love, true love. They are very calm with one another. Cool disposition, I shall say. When I was living at the YWCA in one room with family here in town, they would never have let that happen. They would have taken me in, if I were a family member of theirs.

2. I notice also that lately they have been taking over businesses here in the city and they do work diligently. For one, the laundromat that I am used to treking my laundry once a week, has been bought by them. The owner and her husband are in their mid-twenties and they don't let the drug dealers and other persons doing nonsense hang around. They are deeply respected. The former owners could not handle the "traffic." The store next door to the laundromat, the Spanish couple is buying that as well. It was up until two weeks ago a beauty supply store with wigs, cell phones, clothes and supplies. The korean owner kept getting robbed and was not making any duckets. So, it is going to be a grocery store on Martin Luther King Boulevard. I am not finished....they even own the liquor store. Three deals in one! Smart people indeed....Liquor, grocery and laundry, right by each other. Well, you know our folx really hit that liquor store and they don't hang around. Got to have that stuff to go along with the CRACKerjacks, right? Clean clothes, booze and food, if you gonna eat. At Pier 3, whatever is your forte, that's what you do. Me, I got to study, draw, eat, read, write and have my music and tea time! It's a fight, but I gotta win, for the Spanish folx have taught me calmness today.

3. I am very comfortable with going to school with them, even if they have limited English speaking abilities at the moment. They want to and they are willing to learn English. A lot of them are in ESL classes because they want to learn so that they may continue on with college. They are willing to start small. Even in the college classroom, I notice that they have such a willingness to learn and they will try. Very humble if you ask me. It's like they are not African-American and they are not white, so they are like in-between. Neutral. Very smart folx and never stop learning.

4. Have you ever been in a corner store? Most of them are run by the Spanish or Puerto Rican, if you will. They love it. Our people come in there and they call them "Mommie" and "Poppie." I wonder why. I address them by their names. I also notice that they don't get robbed. Sometimes the dealers will hang around in some of the Spanish stores because the owner won't say anything. It depends. If the owner speaks up from jump street, all is cool. However if "Poppie" as they call him don't say anything, they will just have a good ole time transacting their business in the store like as if they are renting a space out. "Poppie feels safe with them around for he knows that they are looking out for him, they won't rob him. He has a family to feed and they live in the suburb of this city.

5. One other thing that I do is practice my spanish with them. There is nothing like it. It is nice to know another language but you will lose it if you don't use it. Spanish is my second language. One day I hope to go to Spain, Costa Rica or Puerto Rico and I don't mean for a honeymoon, unless I am fooling myself, huh. I love speaking in dialogue with them. And they just love it, they smile right back. If I mispronounce something, they will correct me. It is so much fun. Just like they enjoy when I help them with their English, I enjoy it when they engage in Spanish dialogue with me. If you don't use it, you lose it!

Being with and around spanish persons in various areas of work or play is so special to me, it just brings a smile to my face. How about you? How are your dealings with spanish or puerto ricans? Do you have similiar experiences with them or positive ones?

Diamond

2 comments:

Shai said...

Hey Sharon

I went to school with a mix of cultures during the 70's and 80's. It was not until high school and community college that I went to a predominantly black school.

So I have had contact with Spanish folks most of my life.

I remember in the late 80's when I was in college, my business instructors emphasized how Spanish would be the second largest language spoken in the US. Some folks balked at the thought now here we are.

I told my daughter to get Spanish in school because she will be more advantageous if she does.

Sadly, the Spaniards are taking over in different industries. We black folk cannot even keep it together. We could have so much more.

Diamond said...

Tim,

Yes, the korean man was most certainly out of place there. He did not want to open up his shop daily and towards the end, he kept the door locked and let persons in one at a time. Our people have to get it together and support one another.

Shay,
Spanish is so good to know and it is very easy to learn. There are a lot of spanish persons out here and they need English.

Both of you, thanks for your comments.